New Year New Rules?

“What’s a rule worth, if it doesn’t benefit anybody?” Our restless teenage souls tend to embody that quote, whether at home or in school. There are too many rules in this world, so we need to break some of them… (Don’t actually do that… or tell anyone that I told you to.)

But before you plan your next rebellious act, be sure that you overlook the NPHS library.

“But why? A library has the most rules in the school.”

It does, but the rules are “cool”.

The new 2012 library rules allow students to go without library passes. The reason they did this? For one, they finally understand how long “lunch” can drag on before it’s actually finished. Second, and more importantly, they concluded that the library could be an area for students to spend their idle time much more wisely.

After having gone to the library during lunch myself, I interviewed the people in charge asking how they thought about this ingenious idea. Through the words of our visionaries, Mrs. Nagle and our new librarian, Mrs. McGraw, “Last year, we saw people trying to come inside to do work, but they didn’t have passes. This year, we thought that the library should provide more accessibility for students coming from lunch. They should be able to use the time to talk quietly, study or do work.” After the thumbs-up confirmation from Mr. Casarico and Superintendent Dr. Miceli during the summer, the rule was initiated at the start of this school year and is in place as you read this. Now we can finally do the homework that’s due next period, without having to worry about getting inside the library. Thank you Mrs. McGraw and Mrs. Nagle.

As I interviewed them, they also mentioned that the school might even raise funds for a “charging station” for the new, school-issued iPads (and possibly that iPod under your hood sleeve with the earphones around your neck).

Yes, it’s true. The NPHS library is getting closer to becoming the accessible utopia we’ve been longing for since the 6th grade.

“It’s too good to be true, there has to be a catch to it,” I told them.

“Yeah, it’s still a library by definition,” they replied, and smiled proudly.

After the interview, I asked them about a plasma TV, and they laughed and shrugged jokingly.

“You never know.”