Spring Showcase

On May 10th  there was a lively display of humanity performed by our very peers at school, as New Providence High School hosted the annual Spring Showcase. If you hadn’t seen the posters plastered all over the school’s walls and were wondering what exactly the “Spring Showcase” was, continue reading and be enlightened. Just as the season of spring showcases its newest, beautiful flowers and awe-inspiring crop, New Providence High School showcases its most gutsy and talented performing arts students. By this annual Spring Showcase, it’s quite hard to find a more fitting way to celebrate spring; to watch local talents express humanity and bloom through your very own eyes.

The Spring Showcase has been a tradition that’s been going on for quite some time at our school, and rightfully so. According to Mr. Duke, the show coordinator – and our school drama teacher -the main premise of the spring showcase is to serve as a “venue for kids to display whatever talents they have.” Whether it is comedy, drama, dancing and singing, an action that makes a human, a human, is worthy of showcasing. After all, art is a direct reflection of humanity. Through its premise, the Spring Showcase held at NPHS gives life to the timeless idea that was once put forth by William Shakespeare: “All the world’s a stage, and the men and women merely players.”

But what if people have stage fright? How will the Spring Showcase survive? The Spring Showcase is put forth to combat that problem. “The Spring Showcase is really intended for those kids who haven’t gotten their first taste of the stage yet,” says Mr. Duke. The whole purpose would be to expose daring individuals who want to display their performing skills and encourage next generations of high-school students to follow suit. The spring showcase is an important tradition in this sense, helping to build a school wide sense of self-confidence and build a school-wide appreciation for the arts and humanities.

As in years past, this year’s showcase highlighted a lot of musical renditions, original song performances and comedy sketches.  Too bad we have to wait a whole year for the next one!