New Providence Athlete of the Week: Jordan Price

Pioneer sophomore and cross-country star Jordan Price has been named Athlete of the Week for his outstanding performance on the track so far this fall season.

After putting up unbelievable numbers his freshman year, where he ran a 16:39 in a 5,133 meter event at the 2012 Union County Championships, which was good for 7th out of 106 participants, he topped that by posting an astounding 16:11 time in this year’s event. His coach is well aware of Price’s great improvement.

“Jordan’s off to a great start this year in cross country,” New Providence Boys Cross Country head coach Corey Arnold said. “He set a new school record in the 5K (15:58) earlier this year, which is the fastest in the history of the school. “It’s been extremely impressive, but it’s not entirely surprising because he works incredibly hard.”
The 15:58 time Jordan ran took place back in early September at the Randolph Invitational. This not only topped all New Providence runners, but he finished second and was one of the three sub-16 minute runners out of 74 total competitors.
The unbelievable success Price has had so far this year is credited to his hard working mentality and motivation.

“I work hard in practice every day and keep my many goals on my mind,” Price said. “That gives me the motivation to succeed.”

The rest of the team also benefits off of Jordan, as he is a great, positive influence on and off the track.

“Jordan has been a great influence to this team,” said Arnold. “He concentrates on team first even though he has his own personal goals.”

“I am always pushing everyone on my team to take it a step further,” said Price. “Due to my strong leadership, my success serves as an inspiration to my teammates.”

With only a few events remaining on the season, that doesn’t mean the sophomore isn’t looking forward to the upcoming winter and spring seasons. He said he is “looking to work on my mentality as a runner and to become a smarter runner”.

The next event the Pioneers and Price participate in is on November 9, and he looks to have a strong showing in the NJSIAA Sectionals, so be sure to catch him in action.