Marching Band

Marching Band

When you hear the thunderclap of the drums, the roar of the trumpets, or the angelic sounds of the pit from your house it can only mean one thing. The New Providence High School Marching Band is rehearsing this year’s show—Joy! One hundred and thirty-two students are watching Drum Majors Sam Kudman and Katie Canete, making sure their feet are in time and their shoulders are square.When asked what their favorite part about being a Drum Major was, Katie agreed with Sam when he said, “It’s a really unique experience that we get to watch over 130 of our peers work together to create something truly special.”
Whether you ask the student leaders, staff, Drum Majors, or Mr. Niedziejko himself, everyone will agree that “Joy” is unlike any other show the band has done in years. Mr. Niedziejko best sums it up by saying, “This show is much more physically demanding than shows we have done in the past. However, we have been making steady progress. My expectations are that we maximize our potential and that all the kids feel that they have spent their time well.”
The Marching Band’s policy is very unique because itallowsfall athletes to march in the band. Students such as Brian Urness and Dan Patel were recognized last year for playing in the football game, and marching the half-time show. There aremany dedicated students who are involved in Marching Band and fall sports. The band is proud of the “band-athletes” for making sacrifices and sharing their time between two very demanding activities.
The entire band and staff is determined to make this show the best it can be. Visual effects for the band and vibrant colored flags for the color guard are some of the few aspects that make the crowd react to this show. Brass Captain Steven Bronocco said, “Despite the show being harder than previous years, the band is rising to the occasion and we are making great progress”. Competitions the Marching Band will be attending this season include The Yamaha Cup at Metlife Stadium, State Championships, and National Championships. They will also be competing in competitions at Somerville High School and Ridge High School.
While practicing intense parts of “Joy”, Mr. Niedziejko likes to tell the band “We are going to rip peoples’ faces off!” There is no doubt they will—but they will do so joyfully!

Arista Parillo