Marching to the Finish

The New Providence Marching Band, led by director Mr. N, has come to the end of another season. The band finished their competitive season with a first place victory at USSBA Group 6A National Champions after also capturing the state championship and victories at Ridge and Somerville High School. Along with the awards the band achieved their true goal of personal excellence.

The band was greatly affected by Hurricane Sandy, which forced a marathon weekend to end the season. Since the state championship competition was scheduled for the same weekend Sandy hit New Jersey, it had to be moved.  MetLife Stadium was already booked for the following weekend, and the timing was therefore not ideal.  

It was a wild weekend like no one in the band had seen before. The band played at a football game on Saturday following a morning practice, then went to States that night.  After capturing first place the band marched back onto the field the next day to prepare for the next challenge.  Sunday morning they practiced with a National Championship in mind.  They traveled to MetLife stadium that night and left National Champions.

The end to the season also marked the end of the journey of thirty nine seniors. Senior trombone player Pat Alexander reflected on his four years of the band with The Providential:  “Marching band was quite an endeavor.  I learned a lot of life lessons from it including teamwork and music. Going through the marching band program has made me a more well rounded musician and person, and it is with deep sadness that I see the end of my marching band career.”  The other seniors will be sad to see it end, but will surely leave with many memories.

The band will return next season to try and recapture the magic of past seasons without the seniors.  Drum major Sam Kudman reflected on the season with The Providential:  “This year’s band will always hold a special place in my heart.  Everyone had an energy and enthusiasm about them that I haven’t seem before in previous years. What they have achieved through their hard work and dedication is inspiring to me. All championships and placements aside, this band was truly special, and they should all be proud of what they have accomplished this fall. Thank you to everyone in the band and everyone who supports us for making this an incredible, unforgettable season!”

The “Pride and Class” of New Providence will be back next year. The band eagerly waits to see what their next show will be, and how the next band will continue the tradition of excellence that has been firmly established.