The student news site of New Providence High School

The Providential

The Providential

The Providential

Winter Track Wrap-up

After several months of hard work and enduring the harsh winter weather, the New Providence High School Winter Track season finally came to a close with the Meet of Champions on February 23.  Both teams had spectacular seasons consisting of personal records and medal earning performances at meets of all levels.  Many athletes even managed to place in the state Sectional Meet and move on to the State Group Meet, while some others managed to make it even further to the Meet of Champions.

At New Providence athletes placed in events across the board:  distance, sprinting, pole vaulting, and throwing.  For the girls,  six athletes placed in the top six in four events.  The girls’ 4×400 placed fifth in the section.  Senior Jocelyn Andreae placed sixth in the section for high jump with a height of 4-02.00.  Seniors Jackaina Pluviose and  Andreae placed first and second for pole vault in the section with heights of 8-0.00 and 7-06.00.  Junior Myah Cambell- Reaves placed second in the section for shot put with a distance of 32-05.00.  The girls’ team managed to win 28.5 points placing 4 overall in the section.

The boys’ team had an especially great showing at the Sectional Meet.  After placing eighth in the preliminary heat, Junior Mark Hays  placed third in the finals for the 55 meter dash with a time of 6.88 seconds.  Senior Captain Chris Aresco ran the 800 meter race with a time of 2:02.31, placing second.  Senior Captain Joe Flanagan ran the 1600 meter race with a time of 4:48.35, placing fourth in the section.  Freshman Jordan Price placed second in the 3200 meter race with a time of 9:56.37 and Junior Michael Wolak ran it with a time of 10:36.01, placing sixth.  The boys’ 4×400 meter relay placed fifth in the section with a time of 3:51.77.  Senior Captain Michael Closs won the sectional pole vault by two and a half feet with a height of 12-06.00. Sophomore, Sebastian Camacho, placed third in the section for pole vault with a height of 9-06.00.  Overall the boys tied for third in the section with Weequahic with forty five points each.  The team was only four points behind first place Metuchen.

Anyone who placed at the Sectional Meet had the opportunity of competing at the State Group Meet.  Everyone competed, but only Aresco and Closs  managed to place at this meet and earn their way to the Meet of Champions.   Aresco placed fifth in the Group Meet with a time of 2:02.31.   Closs won the pole vault with a height of 13-0.00, winning by a foot.  

At the Meet of Champions, Aresco and Closs competed against some of the finest athletes in the state.  Aresco ran a time of 2:07.74 in the 800 meter run.   Closs placed tenth in the state with a height of 13 feet.  With the close of this meet came the close of another phenomenal season of New Providence Winter Track.