Pioneers Destroy Dayton

The first Friday night football game of the season was one to remember for the Pioneers. With Senior back Brian Urness recovering from an injury, everyone on the team needed to step up their game. That is exactly what they did. New Providence absolutely dominated. Jonathan Dayton fielded a strong team, but the Pioneers knocked them on their heels. 51-0 Pioneers, was the final score. Dayton was left in shambles. The Pioneers set the tone right out of the gate. The team played fast, strong, and unified.

The game began with an electrifying interception from Mimmo Coppola. He returned the interception for a touchdown to put the Pioneers up 6-0. However, the team did not settle for the extra point. They went for two, and were successful. All night long, the Pioneers used trickery to tack on an extra two points after scoring. Twice, they purposely snapped the ball over the place holder’s head allowing Senior Bryan Sherman to scoop the ball up and throw towards the end-zone.

Senior running back CJ Kliesch claimed the next touchdown. After that, the points started flowing. Junior quarter back Jack Harvey had a fantastic night connecting with Bryan Sherman and Jeff Doran. Harvey finished the night with 45 passing yards and 94 rushing yards. His first touchdown was the last of the first quarter, making the score 24-0. After the game Harvey said, “Tonight was great. Everyone did their job, and we really showed what we are capable of. I couldn’t be any happier.”

Harvey had two more touchdowns in the second quarter to put the game away. Defensively, the Pioneers were tough. Junior Joseph Ciarrocca and Sophomore Russell Davidson both had five tackles on the night. With two of the Pioneers top backs returning from injuries soon, the Pioneer football team is a driving force.