Cross Country Holds the Lead

The New Providence boys and girls cross country teams are taking over the fall sports season as if it were a race. The 2013 season has been going quite well so far for both teams. Led under the coaching of Mr. Arnold and assistant coach Ms. Prufer, the New Providence team has great leadership to thank for their current success. This season has started off really well. Both teams are looking good, with boys running in the 17-minute range and girls running in the low 20-minute range.
The boys team, 3-0 as of Tuesday October 1st, is led by Senior captains Michael Wolak, Kevin Maluso, and Don Gomber. Other standouts on the team this year include seniors Aditya Vinjamuri and Chris George, junior Carmine Boccellari and sophomores Jordan Price and David Adams. The boys team earned their first win (15-49) against Jonathan Dayton and against their biggest rival Oratory Prep with a score of 21-35. At the next dual meet on September 23rd, the boys defeated Roselle 17-46 and beat Oratory Prep again 28-30. Junior Andrew Norton helped turned in a clutch performance, passing the one Oratory boy needed to determine the win. On October 1st, the team defeated Roselle Catholic 20-38.
Like the boys team, the girls team is 3-0 since the first of October, with senior captains Megan Sullivan, Rebecca Blitt, and Kirstie Peterson leading the way. Other seniors on the team include Laura Maxwell and Camille Ake. The girls team is continuing their undefeated streak, thanks to the contributions of stars like junior Ayleen Solis and sophomore Megan Friscia. The girls team’s first win was against Oak Knoll, with a perfect score of 15-50. That same day they defeated Dayton 17-44. At their second conference meet they beat Oak Knoll 15-42 and Roselle 15-46. The girls became 3-0 when they defeated Roselle Catholic 15-49 on October 1st.
Both teams are working hard this year with intense workouts created by Coach Arnold. Some workouts include 5 miles runs through Berkeley Heights, hill workouts, and speed intervals on the track. This strength and training routine should serve the boys well in seeking their goal of defeating Oratory Prep at the Conference Championship on October 16th. The girls hope to keep their Conference Champion title against rival Kent Place once more again this year. New Providence cross country is continuing to show everyone just how they run things.