The student news site of New Providence High School

The Providential

The Providential

The Providential

New Providence Athlete of the Week: CJ Kliesch

Star running back CJ Kliesch, who has lead the 5-1 Pioneers so far this season, has been named New Providence’s Athlete of the Week.

The senior tailback has compiled unbelievable stats through the first six games this season, totaling 380 rushing yards and a whopping 12 touchdowns, which easily leads the team.

“CJ is one of our top offensive players,” head coach Joe Carollo said during training camp. “We expect a lot out of him every game.”

Not only is he the most imposing threat on the offensive side of the ball, but he is a leader and a motivator on a defense that has only allowed 41 points over six games.

“I’m able to motivate the team by just playing my hardest and showing (my teammates) what we can do,” he said.

Coming off back-to-back seasons where New Providence was unable to reach their ultimate goal, the Group 1, Section 2 Championship game at MetLife Stadium, Kliesch really believes this is the year they can attain that achievement.

“Our team goal for the rest of the season is to win a state championship,” Kliesch said. “That is always our goal.”

Kliesch didn’t waste any time this season in showing his importance to the team. In an early September match-up against Brearley, he scampered for 102 yards and found the end zone three times, en-route to a 34-14 opening season victory.

Consistency is also a key factor in the success of the senior. He has scored at least a touchdown in each game this season, something no other player on the team can claim.

With all the success he has on the football field, it would seem as if that is the only sport he plays. However, he is a key asset to the up and coming boys lacrosse team, who just came off of a 14-5 season and a berth in the Union County Tournament semi-final.

Despite having no plans as of yet to pursue playing football in college, things could change over the course of the year.

“As of right now, I don’t really have many plans to play after high school,” said Kliesch. “But, that could change as the year goes on.”