New Providence Plays to Boys’ Soccer Draw with Delaware Valley on Senior Day

New Providence’s Neal Vinaixa and Delaware Valley’s Kurt Heeren each tallied a goal as the two boys soccer teams played to a 1-1 tie on Senior Day Tuesday 10/29 at Lieder Field.

Fourteen seniors were honored at halftime for their hard work, dedication, and commitment over their past years playing on the team.

“I’m glad everybody got to play,” said Pioneer head coach Teddy Niedzielski. “These seniors work really hard and they deserved this.”

Senior co-captain Zain Stedman was also satisfied with how Senior Day went.

“We wanted to come out and enjoy one of our last games on this field,” Stedman said. “It was important that all of us could put forth a solid effort.”

After a slow start in which neither team was able to get much going on offense, the Terriers struck first. Striker Heeren made a run through the box and buried an uncontested cross from the right side to give Delaware Valley the lead in the 14th minute.

Despite the Pioneers’ dominating possession for the remainder of the first half, they were unable to convert on many of their scoring chances.

However, New Providence carried their first-half momentum into the second, which ultimately lead to their only goal. After Delaware Valley committed a foul about 30 yards out, sophomore midfielder Sean Regan played a ball down the right side to oncoming defender James Burke. He then aired a deep cross into the far end of the 18-yard box, which was headed in by junior Vinaixa to knot the score at 1-1 in the 51st minute.

The Pioneers had their chances in the rest of regulation and overtime, but they were unable to score, settling for a draw instead.

“We just needed to put a little more pressure on them,” said Niedzielski. “We knew if we did that they would turn it over, but we were just unable to get one more goal.

“We fell behind early which put us in a bit of a hole,” said Stedman. “But being able to play really well and tying up the game really shows our resiliency.”