Marching Band Season Recap

David Hua, Staff Writer

The Pride and Class of New Providence, the NPHS Marching Band, completed another successful season this past weekend at Allentown, PA.  This year’s show, titled “Falling into Madness”, consists of music from Dies Irae , Psycho and Vertigo, and Dance of Vengeance.  This year’s band was much younger than last year’s with over two-thirds of its members being rookies, but that did not prevent the band from achieving at the high level it always has.  Senior Drum Major, Dorothy Qu summed it up best:  “Even though we were so young this year, I’m very proud of the band and what we have accomplished together as a group.”
The band’s first major competition was the US Bands State Championships taking place at High Point Solutions Stadium of Rutgers University on October 25.  In the Group 6a class (bands with over 130 members), the NPHS Marching Band went in with the goal of performing as well as they could at that point of the season  Woodwind Captain Will Roper described the performance as “the best we had done as a group up to that point.  It was huge improvement and we were proud of how we did.”
On November 1st, the band went to Metlife Stadium to compete in the Yamaha Cup.  With no outdoor rehearsals the week prior and no rehearsal the day of, the band did not perform its best at this competition, but nevertheless, “the effort and attitude of everyone through the tribulations of the week were outstanding” according to Alto Section Leader Andrew Norton.
The band concluded its season in Allentown, PA at the US Bands A Class National Championships, finishing third overall.  According to Drum Major Qu:  “We performed the best we ever had that whole season and it was clear that as a group, we reached our full potential and that was our only goal.  

We really have no business competing against these bigger schools, but we proved through our hard work and effort that we can excel.

— Dorothy Qu

unnamed Everyone should be proud of that!”
It’s evident from the results of the season and attitudes of the members that Mr. N, Mr. Baker and the rest of the NPHS Marching Band staff have done yet another wonderful job managing the largest extracurricular activity of the high school.

Congratulations to all the members of the Pride and Class of New Providence!