FCL Meets ECLC

Gabriella Pickton, Staff Writer

On May 21st, members of the NPHS Future Civic Leaders of America Club will be going to ECLC in Chatham for an exciting event. They will be participating in a variety of field day events with students of the school, as well as developing lifelong friendships with these students.

Students from NPHS and ECLC will compete together in teams in array of different competitions throughout the day. These events will include Bocce ball, egg and spoon races, relay races, can and ring toss games, and beach volleyball. Students will also participate in opening and closing ceremonies; with students from NPHS singing the National Anthem at the opening ceremony and students from ECLC singing a song at the closing ceremony.

The opportunity for students to participate in this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity would not have been possible without the amazing work of two FCL officers:  Lizzie Scheader and Rebecca Pappas.

Since last summer, Lizzie and Rebecca have been planning this trip. They both have had a range of other experiences in volunteer work that prepared them for this. Rebecca has had past experiences working with people with disabilities that inspired her while planning; and has also volunteered at church events and with Relay for Life, as a team captain. Lizzie has previously had experience working with the Sharing Network and has also been a captain for Relay for Life.

Rebecca and Lizzie hope that this event will make the day for the students at ECLC. When they visited the school while planning the trip, a teacher said that the students would remember the field day for the rest of their lives. Although this field trip may not seem like that big of a deal in the eyes of many of the NPHS students, it will have a lasting effect on the lives of the students at ECLC.

Lizzie stresses the idea that despite the obstacles she faced in planning the trip, it is important to remember how accomplished and happy she and the other volunteers will feel they felt at the end of the day.  It is all worthwhile when you realize you have done something good for someone else.