Private vs Public: Making the Decision

Transitioning from middle to high school provides a lot of challenges, starting with where to go. 

NPHS is a great public school, but there are many considerations that go into the decision of whether or not to stay here or go to a private school.

Private schools often have more money to spend on things like facilities, since kids pay for tuition. 

Frequently, private schools can also offer smaller class sizes, and more individualized counseling services to help students find the right college fit. 

Some kids choose to attend private schools because of athletics. The coaches at private schools can help get your name out there more and just being associated with the school helps with recruiting. 

One private school that attracts students from NP is Seton Hall Prep in West Orange, New Jersey. Founded in 1856 the school was created to provide a Catholic education.  

Michael Ferrara is a sophomore at Seton Hall Prep. Ferrara chose private school mainly because of the school’s overall philosophy. He said that as an all boys school, they encourage you to create a brotherhood and become a part of their community.

He said: “The community is very accepting, encouraging, and supportive. There are upper class men assigned to a group of freshmen and sophomores that meet daily to help you feel welcomed.”

He said that the cost of the school he says is a worthwhile investment because in addition to their great athletics, which was his main reason why he chose Seton Hall Prep, the education and culture is great. 

He also identified the increased participation of parents, in certain clubs like a father’s club where they have monthly meetings with a lot of attendance, as a bonus.  Likewise, 

Another nearby private school is Delbarton, in Morristown. Delbarton, also a Catholic school, has an acceptance rate of around 56 percent. The tuition costs $43,000 dollars a year which is almost as much as college tuition. 

For freshman Jarrett Hercules the decision to go to Delbarton was easy. 

“What motivated me to go to a private school was the pursuit of a higher level of athletics,” he said.

Hercules was a standout football player all throughout middle school for Woodbridge. He tore it up in his youth so he decided to take his dream one step further. He decided going to private school would be a good decision as the academics are slightly better but the athletics are through the roof. The facilities are a lot better at Delabrton than his public school would have been. 

One benefit of the private school that he identified is the academic support.  Kids that struggle in the classroom are also provided with extra help. They are also provided with accommodations to help their learning experience at the school.  

While public schools can and do offer quality educational and athletic opportunities, many students find that a private school has exactly what they’re looking for when it comes to a high school experience.