NPHS Makes Effort to Support New Arrivals

Maria Lopez Kuri

Mental health is an important factor in making sure students are fulfilling their potential.  For students who are new to New Providence, and to the United States, the struggle to be ok is even more pronounced.  At New Providence High School there are a number of programs in place to address mental health, and a number of people focused on making sure everyone is ok.  Two people who make a real effort to take care of students’ and teachers’ feelings are ESL teacher Ms. Avila and school counselor Ms. Noppenberger.  

Avila, who teaches English to students from different backgrounds, thinks it’s essential to understand and celebrate everyone’s uniqueness.  

She said: Learning a new language can be tough, and it can affect how you feel inside.” 

She tries to make her class a safe and friendly place where students can talk about their feelings while learning English. 

“We do things together, talk in groups, and use materials that respect everyone’s background,Avila explained.

By doing this, she hopes to make her class feel like a team

Making a good place to learn is not just about books; it’s also about helping each person feel good about themselves,” she said.   “Building friendships and understanding each student’s unique experiences is key.  I celebrate the different cultures in our class and make sure my ESL students get the extra help they need.  It’s about making sure everyone feels like they belong here.”

Ms. Noppenberger, a school counselor, works closely with teachers like Avila to take care of everyone’s feelings.

We want to be ready to help before things get hard,she said.

The counseling team organizes workshops and shares helpful information so that everyone knows how to take care of their minds

“We try to make sure everyone, including ESL students, can get the help they need,Noppenberger added.  

She believes it’s important to share resources and talk openly about feelings

“When students feel good at school, it’s like having good soil for a plant to grow.  If they feel safe, supported, and like they belong, their mental health gets better.  It’s about talking openly, making them feel part of things, and making a friendly environment.”

Noppenberger also believes in working with teachers like Avila to help make NPHS a positive environment for everyone.

“Teamwork is super important,” said Noppenberger.  “If we all work together and learn how to recognize when students might need help, it makes for a better, all-around approach to looking out for our students.’