The student news site of New Providence High School

The Providential

The Providential

The Providential

Golf Swings into another Season

“I don’t see how anybody can deny that we are the best golf team in the country.”

Strong words from senior Pat Doran set the tone for this season of Pioneer golf. High hopes of doing well, and possibly winning the state tournament drive the team to practice hard, and hopefully see the results on the course. Davis Barry, Kevin Haggerty, Ben Keller, and Sam Villagrosa are all returning varsity members looking to improve on last year’s impressive season. There are many other players looking to fill the spots left from last year’s seniors, and the competition is only making the team stronger according to Coach Murphy:  “We have four returning varsity players who we will look to for leadership. We have four to six guys and girls fighting for the two remaining varsity sports. The competition between them will improve us individually and as a team. We have fifteen golfers this year which is more then previous years.”

The golf team may not be the most well known team in New Providence, but the team is very successful, and has added more girls to the program than ever before, both factors that should help raise its profile.  Coach Pazdera has high hopes for the team this year: “We are looking to improve upon our records from previous years and go to the state tournament.”

The Pioneer nation can only hope that Doran’s words are true, and the Pioneer golfers are ready for another successful season.