Spring Track Preview

After the cold winter season comes the beginning of the spring and the beginning of a new track season.  Athletes from the previous track season and other winter sports will come together to form a new team.  Both the boys and girls track teams at New Providence High School boast a variety of athletes for a variety of events, including sprinting, distance running, jumping, throwing, hurdles, and pole vault.

The track program will be run by boys head coach Arnold and girls head coach Murphy.  There are many other coaches who coach specific events so athletes will get the most out of their track experience.  Coach Murphy will coach the sprinting events and hurdle events and Coach Arnold coaches the distance events, while Coach Tracey handles throwing events, Coach Barletta covers all jumping events, and Coach Roberts focuses solely on pole vault.  Also assisting wherever needed, particularly in sprinting, is Assistant Coach Meyer.

The girls team will be led by seniors Jackie Pluviose, Jocelyn Andreae, Isabella Wilson and Robyn Plocinski.  Even after losing athletes like Courtney Connolly to graduation and facing a schedule with teams like Roselle Catholic, Roselle Park, Kent Place, and Jonathan Dayton in their conference, the season goal of this year’s team is to win the Conference and the Sectional Meets.

The boys team will be led by seniors Dan Smith, Johnny Barletta, Nick Iannacone, Mike Closs, Chris Aresco, Joe Kelly, Michael Molstad, Kyle Kroeger, Billy Gilroy and Jon Bendarsky and is also confident that, despite the loss of last year’s stand-out Everett Price, they can win the Conference and the Sectional Meets this year.