Detective Carovillano: His True Role and Impact at NPHS

Hayden LaRocque Green, Features Editor

We all see Officer Carovillano around school, but do we all know what his very important role is at NPHS?  Who, really, is Officer Carovillano?

Officer Carovillano grew up in Bridgewater, and attended Bridgewater Raritan West High School. He attended Kean University.  After graduating college, Officer Carovillano attended the John H. Stamler Police Academy and has been an officer since 1995. 

While he looks younger than he is, Officer Carovillano has a lot of experience in police work and New Providence in general. 

“I was actually a police officer here in New Providence for 25 years. In 2003, I became the school resource officer for five years,” said Officer Carovillano. 

Officer Carovillano came out of retirement last April, and currently holds the position of a Special Class Three police officer. This program allows retired officers with experience to come back into the schools for security purposes. 

On a day-to-day basis, Officer Carovillano said: “My usual routine is to obviously help out. My main goal is security, to make sure that the building is secure and that the kids are safe. I work with administrators, staff, and even students to get information that may be potential dangers and address them.” 

Specific tasks Officer Carovillano leads are the traffic problems in the morning, class visitations, and implementing and enforcing new security procedures. He has done everything from assisting Mr. Tracey in the Criminology class to teaching the 5th grade Drug Abuse Resistance Education (D.A.R.E.) program.

One of Officer Carovillano’s favorite parts about being at NPHS is that he is able to protect the youth and implement new programs here.

He said: “I’ve always had a passion for protecting our youth. I taught the D.A.R.E. program for 13 years when I was a police officer here. So, I’m very comfortable in the schools.”

Throughout his time as a school resource officer, Officer Carovillano has carried out a number of new security procedures that are still running today. 

“I’ve implemented the P.A.T.T. Program (Police and Teens Together), which is where you do role reversals with the police in the criminology class, the ‘Every 15 Minute’ program, which is run by the New Providence Municipal Alliance, against drinking and driving, as well as some other programs.  When teachers asked me to come in, I’m happy to assist,” said Officer Carovillano. 

In addition to community oriented policing programs, Officer Carovillano has witnessed great changes to the security at NPHS throughout his time here. He greatly supports the security measures that have been put in place. 

Officer Carovillano said: “When I was here, originally, there were no cameras back then, we have cameras now.  There was no automatic locking feature on the doors and now there is.  This keeps the doors secure throughout the day.  There has been a ton of security measures taken, to make you guys safe. These security updates have transpired over the course of my career and I look forward to making New Providence High School / Middle School a safer place for everyone.”

While he sees these security measures, Officer Carovillano admitted that there is always room for improvement in security, and always a need for more funding to supply it.  Officer Carovillano has spent a great deal of time building and improving the New Providence community, and is a true role model for growth.