Re-Calculating NP’s Grading System

Hayden LaRocque Green, Features Editor

New Providence High School has had the same grading system in place for over two decades, and yet this year students seem confused about how their GPA is calculated. Specifically, there is confusion over the difference between the point value of their grades and the letter value. Why are students confused, and is it time to change how this GPA is found?

For background, the current grading system is based on a quarterly point value, as seen in the Program of Studies. 

Teachers grade assignments and marking period grades are calculated as a percentage out of 100. That percentage is converted to a letter grade. To calculate the final grade for the course, and ultimately your GPA, the letter grades are converted to points. 

Mrs. Shadis, the Director of School Counseling, described it as: “you count each of the point values for the marking period grades twice, and then the point value for your midterm once and the point value for your final once, add them all up and divide by 10.”

While this system appears simple enough, it can create a discrepancy between the semester percentage average and GPA received in PowerSchool. 

Sofia Belisario, a Junior, said: “In my Aerospace class and my AP Language and Composition (APLAC) class my average was a 96%, but I had an A- next to Aerospace, and an A next to APLAC, which was really confusing.”

In Belisario’s case, this system lowered her GPA in one class. She received a 3.5 for the semester, even though her percentage would reflect a 4.0. However, it was able to boost junior Anna Oliva’s grade.

“Even though I had an 89%, I received an A- in my History class in Powerschool for the semester. I didn’t know why, but just rolled with it,” Oliva said. 

Why are students just now seeing a change in their grades? This is largely due to midterm testing. After two years without finals or midterms, due to COVID-19,many students are unaware of how its point value can affect a GPA calculation. 

“It brought it to light because we haven’t had midterms in two years. I think either students A) never realized, B) forgot, or C) This was the first time experiencing it anyway,” Mrs. Shadis said. 

After student confusion about midterm results was expressed to the school, a Midyear grading explanation was emailed to all students on February 14th, 2022. This email reiterated what was mentioned in the Program of Studies, in hopes to amend student concerns. 

The student inquiry of their grades has brought a new question into light: why do we have this grading system in place, and is it time to change it? Opinions on this topic are extremely mixed.

Teachers like Ms. Berrios, an English teacher, see no reason to change the system in place. In response to grades changing as a result of the midterm, Berrios said, “My opinion really would be that’s how colleges work. You can put in a lot of effort through the marking periods, but also you’re going to have to learn how to take a test and how to take a timed test. And that’s one of the skills that you need.”

Belisario sees a different aspect of the grades. “If a student receives a MP1 grade of 104%, with extra credit being very possible, a 90% for MP2, and messes up on the midterm, getting an 89%, their average will be a 97%. However, they will receive an A- for the semester. Colleges don’t see the 97% on transcripts, they just see an A-.”

On one hand, this scenario applies to “that’s how colleges work.” In college, your grades will likely be determined by the letter. However, for a high school student competing with students from other schools to be admitted, having that percentage shown is much more beneficial than the letter. 

Other high schools have very different definitions of an A-. For example, Summit High School considers an A- to be 90-92%. Plus grades also exist in their district. While colleges take into consideration the grading system of each district, it might be difficult to differentiate between students without a specific percentage listed. 

To compromise on this issue, Belisario believes that adding the percentage along with the point value on a transcript is most beneficial. 

She said: “Mr. Henry told me a detailed explanation of our grading system is sent so that these colleges could convert it to match with other schools. However, if he’s not sending the numerical value, then I don’t know how in the world they’re converting it.”

The idea of a percentage listed with the point value is just one of many different ways the school’s grading system might be changed. 

Mr. Henry, the NPHS Principal, leads the Grading Committee, which is made up of members from multiple departments. His team is hoping to have a recommendation to make regarding the grading system to show the Board of Education. If any changes were to take place, the soonest possible would be next school year, 2022-2023. 

As for the changes he is looking at, they include more than just a point value. Mr. Henry said: “The grading scale doesn’t have pluses (A+,B+,etc.). There is benefit to pluses, as it can make the scale more specific and equitable.”

Mr. Henry is also considering changing the weight of Honors and AP classes. Right now, they both receive a 0.5 boost in weighted GPA. This would potentially be changed to have AP classes getting more value. 

The Grading Committee has actually been evaluating the current system in place since before students became confused after midterms. They are determined to keep an open mind and collaborate with the community. 

Once again, the community is torn on how this system should be changed. While students Belisario and Oliva see benefit towards the changes Mr. Henry mentioned, Ms. Berrios provided a new perspective. 

“To me, you know, most schools just go A minus, B, B minus etc, and so forth. And most schools don’t even have an E, our students have the extra opportunity to not really fail by giving them an E. Also, my opinion is that AP and Honors classes shouldn’t be weighted at all. I think that every student should be treated equally regardless of the classes that they choose,” Berrios said. 

In all, the student issues with the grading system are primarily due to a lack of awareness on how it actually works. However, the option to change NPHS grade calculation to match other schools is clearly in the works.