The student news site of New Providence High School

The Providential

The Providential

The Providential

AP vs. Regular Classes: Which is the Right Choice?

Kenny Miensky
Mr. Corey Arnold

Advanced Placement classes. These college level courses are offered to high school students in adherence with the national standard of the College Board.  It is expected that these classes will be much more fast paced and rigorous compared to regular level classes. At least that’s what has been assumed by students and parents for years, but is the difference really that apparent? And if not,  then what is the benefit of taking these classes?

I personally am in two Advanced Placement (AP) classes, and have always considered them to be harder than regular classes and more preparatory for college. Some students support this opinion, but others provide a somewhat mixed view.

Some students see AP classes as placing a different pace on lessons and work.

Junior Ben Mazza, a student of several AP classes, said the pacing is, “a little bit fast, some classes faster than others. You could tell that in your AP Economics class, you’re taking two classes in the same year, so it’s definitely really fast. But compared to something like AP Government, that’s only supposed to be a semester-long course, it goes pretty slow and it’s much more relaxed.”

Ben Mazza

Mazza also said that taking multiple AP classes while partaking in after school activities is definitely a sacrifice.

In managing his workload, he said: “I definitely have a lot more work to adjust to. You have to change up your schedule, a little bit less sleep.”

So if the change to AP classes from regular classes brings different pacing and sacrifices in time and even sleep, then what are the benefits that would make it worth it?

Mr. Corey Arnold, Honors History and AP US Government and Politics teacher, said, “I think there are a couple different types of benefits to AP classes. I think the obvious one that a lot of people think of, of course, is college credit. You get credit for taking a class in high school that can save you a lot of tuition in college, or it can help you test it into a more interesting higher level class. Maybe skip the intro level, but you get to take a seminar. So I think that’s one of the reasons a lot of people take AP tests.”

He also said, “I think the other value in it is getting the practice and the skills that are necessary to prepare you more for college. So I think you know, there’s the practical value in AP but also the kinds of skills you learn that you’re going to need when you move on later.”

For students who see these types of benefits as helpful, then the change in schedule, and possible sacrifices in time, may be worth it. Students who are sure they want to attend college can definitely save time and money in college from taking AP classes in high school. 

Compared to regular classes, AP classes definitely have a reputation of being more rigorous.

Junior Matt Gil said, “taking regular classes is just obviously like taking on any other class. I mean, not that hard. Not that easy either.”

Matt Gil

He said he puts in “maybe an hour or two every night” to study and do homework for his non-AP level courses.

Gil said that some of his friends talk about how “some AP classes are a lot more work than others.”

Mazza explained that everything depends on your attitude:  “If your mindset is there from the very beginning, it’s not that hard.”

He also said, “if you don’t give it the time it needs then it will be hard.”