Has NPHS School Culture Changed Over the Years?

Throughout the years NPHS has changed significantly regarding school culture. Considering new technology, different clothing, trends, and rules, how does NPHS of 2024 compare to the NPHS of the past?

Mr. Anderson, an NPHS graduate, class of 2008, who currently teaches social studies in the school said: “I think the school as a whole hasn’t changed all that much. A lot of the great teachers that I loved are still here. I think the biggest change comes to the differences with the phones and, it’s just a different world in the sense that there’s different interests. I know the students are very active, I think the coolest change is sporting events, how many people are supporting each other, like the girls basketball games, or even the football games.”

In 2008 when Mr. Anderson graduated, students, didn’t have ‘NeerNation or ‘Neeraction on Instagram that posts the dates and times of sporting events to encourage students to come and show their support. Social media spreads the information to students about Pioneer athletics faster and easier, and increases the spectatorship. Students also sometimes highlight and support their teammates on their social media accounts.

Another big change has come in technology.  30 years ago in the 1990s all the students at NPHS had was a pen, paper, and their textbooks. Now students each have their own iPad for school and carry around their phones at all times. Even though the school iPads have restrictions and settings on them for certain websites, apps, and other things, students can still do so much with their iPads.

Former Pioneer and current parent of a NPHS freshman, Kate Hutson said: “Students today have access to information at their fingertips. Every student has an iPad and a phone, which are great educational tools, but also pose a challenge with the potential for distraction. As a parent, I’m impressed with students’ ability to use digital media for learning. We barely had the internet when I was in high school!”

What about the kids themselves?  Has student behavior and attitude changed that much?

Mr. Keaney, Director of Curriculum, Instruction, and Supervision, who began teaching at NPHS in the mid 90s said: “I say the students are a lot kinder, and more empathetic, more compassionate than maybe they were in the mid 90s. I remember times, way back when there would be a smoke bomb in the hallway or there might be loud arguments with the teacher in the hallway.”