‘Neer Nation Helps NPHS Show School Spirit

Throughout the year, NPHS hosts various events that bring the entire school together, creating a vibrant and supportive atmosphere. Students and staff invest substantial effort to ensure NPHS maintains a united and enjoyable environment. For students who have creative ideas and want to work towards creating that sense of community in the school, ‘Neer Nation provides a great opportunity to be able to voice imaginative proposals about school spirit. 

‘Neer Nation is behind many of the fun events for everyone to participate in during the school year such as Class Clash, the pep rally, sports games, and the semi-formal dance in winter.

According to Mrs. Berrios, Neer Nation’s advisor:  “The school events were mostly created by the students. A few years ago, students and faculty participated in focus groups to see how we wanted to improve the school community. The winter dance, pep rally, and Class Clash were the three events that we thought would improve the school climate. So by having these events it brings everyone together and just to have a good time.”

‘Neer Nation, led by six appointed student leaders, meets regularly to plan upcoming games and events. The student leaders manage social media accounts, posting announcements to keep the school informed and promote NPHS events.

Mr. Carangelo, NPHS Athletic Director, also meets with them every Wednesday during lunch to discuss ideas for upcoming games.

Students from all grades are encouraged to attend the events, as their energy plays a vital role in generating interest and excitement. Through word of mouth, students share their enthusiasm before the events kick off.

Carangelo said:  “Aside from cheers, there are things we are trying to develop we’re still trying to, they’re trying to have that one or two unique things that New Providence does, that our fans can do at a football game or at a basketball game. I have kind of challenged them with that, but that creativity is a little challenging sometimes.”

Sports games, like Friday Night Lights, are major events, with the student section featuring a different theme each time. The student body consistently strives to devise new and exciting traditions or rituals for New Providence to embrace during these games.

All the meticulous planning and execution of special events revolve around the core values of school spirit, being a pioneer, and fostering a sense of togetherness.