The student news site of New Providence High School

The Providential

The Providential

The Providential

Beneficial Phone Usage in Classrooms

As technology has continued to advance over time, the debate of whether students should be allowed to use their phones during school has become a widely discussed topic. While some argue that phones can distract students from paying attention or doing their work, there are growing agreements that including phones into the learning environment can bring out educational benefits. Also, phones can help students develop a sense of responsibility and enhance their communication abilities.

Firstly, cell phones offer a vast variety of educational apps that can replace traditional teaching methods. According to the article “Cell Phone Serves ‘Lot of Purposes’ in Mitchell High School”, one HS principal is in support of the technology:  “‘They’re checking up on news, they’re looking up on the weather for their golf meet, they’re taking notes, they’re chatting with friends, making phone calls,’ he said. ‘It serves a lot of purposes.’”

There are certain apps that teach students about various subjects and cater to different learning styles, which provides students with interactive and engaging content. These educational apps can turn students’ screen time into valuable learning opportunities. 

By allowing students to embrace technology, schools and staff can learn to adapt to evolving modern teaching methods. Many students are already accustomed to using technology inside and outside of school during their everyday lives, so incorporating phones into the learning process can make education more relatable.

Cell phones can also enhance communication and collaboration among students. Messaging apps allow them to be able to share ideas, resources, and discuss collaborative projects. Not only does this foster teamwork but it also prepares kids for the collaborative work environments they most likely will encounter in their future careers. 

Also, it enables them to be able to keep in touch with parents, guardians, or their family in general during the period they are away from them. According to the article, “Cell Phones in Schools Are Here to Stay”: “That’s why cell phones and other smart devices are such wonderful tools. They allow for instant communication with your child by voice or text message. Cell phones can turn an emergency into a relatively easily handled and controlled event. They can give instant peace of mind. Of course, we are assuming that your child is honest and is where he says he is when you call.”

It is most useful for parents who have children who have to travel far or take a train to school to make sure they get there safely. 

Furthermore, cell phones can serve as a powerful research tool that is fast and reliable. Access to the internet allows students to explore a large range of information ready at their fingertips. Encouraging them to responsibly use online resources can foster independent researching skills, which prepares them for the information-driven world they will encounter outside of school. Teaching responsible phone use is essential and implementing clear guidelines on when and how phones can be used, along with creating consequences for misuse, can help to maintain a balanced and focused learning environment even when students have their cell phones on them.