What Impact Do Clothing Choices Have on School Day?

Some students put a lot of effort into their outfit choices daily for school. On the other hand, many students practically roll out of bed, put on comfortable clothes, and go to school. Outfit choices of students can affect their work ethic throughout the day, along with their confidence. With this popular debate, many questions arise.

There are many factors that play a role into what students choose to wear to school. One of these is social media.  NPHS freshman Abby Gilbertson said: “I usually look to Tiktok, Pinterest or Instagram to see what my favorite influencers are wearing. I tend to follow the trends.”

Along with this, NPHS Freshman Jordin Darnowski said: “A lot of my fashion inspiration comes from social media influencers or ads that I find that I like. I like to follow the trends and me and my group of friends all have similar styles.”

As Gilbertson and Darnowski both said, social media influencers can play a big role in outfit choices of students. Many NPHS students base their style around social media and influencers they like. There are many trends students like to follow that can be to dress up or down. For example, some students that dress down said that they like to follow the oversized clothing trend, and students who dress up enjoy jeans and nice tops.

NPHS senior Cassidy Mishkind said: “I dress for comfort, because I’d rather be comfortable in school and be more focused on my work.”

Similar to Mishkind, students that dress down in clothing like sweatpants and pajama pants definitely are more comfortable in their clothing throughout the day, but it can also make them feel more or less productive depending on the person. 

On the contrary, NPHS junior Harper Gold said: “If I’m dressed nice I feel better about how I look and I like school better.”

Believe it or not, clothing choices that students make can impact their day-to-day lives and confidence at school. Different styles of clothing can impact students’ confidence differently overall. 

Ultimately, the way students choose to dress for school serves as a personal reflection of what they choose to express about themselves and their comfort. While some prefer dressing up for school, saying it adds confidence, others choose a more relaxed, laid back style, feeling more comfortable.