Balancing School and Athletics at NPHS

There are many student athletes at New Providence High School who work hard at school and their sport. But, it’s also very difficult to deal with balancing academics and athletics.  What are the techniques and strategies Pioneer student-athletes have adopted to find this balance?  

Senior football player Cameron Sheeran said: I try to get most of my work done during school so that I have less to worry about when I get home from either a game or practice. If I don’t finish my homework before my game or practice, I just finish it when I get home that night. Time management is one of the difficulties because football after school takes up most of the day and I have less time to do my work at the end of the day.”

Antonio Gallo, a junior on the wrestling team, has a similar approach:  “I schedule time when I’m free to get most of my homework or studying done while I’m not at practice or a game.  I wouldn’t say I have that many difficulties when I’m dealing with school and athletics, except for the stress that could come with it,”. 

Sophomore basketball player Brody D’Amico tries to maximize time during the school day: “I use study hall and professional period to get most of my work done and some of the difficulties are trying to make time to finish the work that I couldn’t finish during study hall or professional period.”