The student news site of New Providence High School

The Providential

The Providential

The Providential

Do You Have What it Takes to Make Honor Roll?

We find ourselves in the midst of the second marking period, and the dust of PowerSchool grades has finally settled. For some students, achieving a spot on the honor roll is a commendable goal that demands dedication and hard work.

At NPHS, making the honor roll is no small feat, as there are specific minimum grade requirements that must be met.

Jillian Shadis, the Head of School Counseling at NPHS explained: “For a student to make the honor roll, they must not have any grade lower than a B. And for high honor roll, no grade lower than an A.”

This distinction between honor roll and high honor roll emphasizes the higher academic bar set for the latter. Essentially, achieving high honor roll status demands an exceptional level of academic excellence with no grade below an A.

Securing a place on the honor roll is no walk in the park, and not many students manage to attain this accolade.

Freshman Lucas Feuerstein shared insights into the diligence required to achieve his aim of honor roll status for all four marking periods, a challenge he believes he can conquer. Feuerstein brings a history of success, having achieved high honor roll status in both years of middle school, and during his first marking period at NPHS.

Accomplishing this, he said, took: “A lot of hard work and dedication. Persistence studying really helped me also, like making sure to sit by home and have all my assignments in on time.”

While honor roll is undoubtedly challenging to attain,  with determination and a focused approach, this academic milestone is within reach. Honor roll at NPHS is not merely a checkbox but a source of pride that students should actively work towards.