Professional Period: Extra Time to Work or Avoid Work?

This school year, about 8 minutes was added to the lunch/Professional Period.  The idea behind Professional Period is that as students juggle their schoolwork, this moment can be a crucial part of their day, helping students stay organized and manage their time.

Many students like having a long break in the middle of the day, but the real question is what have these students been doing in the Professional Period and is it helping them? Are they visiting teachers or playing games in the hallways?

Ariel Brenner said:  “I think it’s a bit too much time, I think we should have it like last year’s lunch. But I think we have too much time because I finish eating and I’m just sitting in the Cafeteria for 30 minutes.”

But for many students it is helping them a lot to finishing work and studying for other classes

Chris Danysh said: “The Professional Period really helps me because I get to see all my teachers and check in with my work. I really get to get all my work done and get help from my teachers.”

For some students, the addition of even more time in the day is a real advantage.

Leo Walsh said: “Having a study hall and a professional period is the perfect duo for getting all my work done and staying on top of all my classes, having the extra time helps me prepare for all my classes and have extra study time.”