Sharing a Building: Should NPMS/NPHS Have To?

Stepping into the corridors of middle school on the first day, a student might wonder: “Why is our school connected to the high school?”

The history of NPSD included a time when there were multiple K-8 schools, which later consolidated due to a fluctuating population. Currently, New Providence has two K-6 elementary schools, and the one NPMS/NPHS school building. Is this set-up benefiting the students who have to share the building? The connection does have its advantages, but it also comes with challenges.

At the shared NPMS/NPHS building younger students get a sneak peek into high school life, gaining valuable insights.

The symbiotic relationship between middle and high school teachers plays a pivotal role in shaping this experience.

Mr. Rahner, a middle school teacher, said: “The interconnectedness allows me to collaborate with high school teachers, shaping my lesson plans accordingly.”

Rahner also appreciates the opportunity to witness the growth of his former students in high school, emphasizing the personal connection fostered by the schools being linked.

The shared administration, including a common principal, adds cohesion to the educational experience.

Delving deeper into the issue, Mr. Henry, Principal of both schools, said:  “It is nice to have shared staff and resources and we utilize that, as well as a shared cafeteria and shared auditorium. Getting to see students grow over the 6 years that they are with me is something I value a lot. It also gives me a sense of pride seeing their personal growth over the years they are here.”

Does he ever wish the two schools were separate?

“If it were up to me and we had all the money in the world, I would keep everything the same. The unknown is not always good, the grass is not always greener on the other side,” he said.

For some students, the grass seems like it might be greener with two schools.

NPHS student Quentin Moore said: “When I was in middle school I was just curious as to why the schools were connected. Would this benefit me or hurt me? They were always kind of scary but they would never say anything to me. I do see the middle schoolers every day as we are on the same schedule so the hallways can get blocked up as everyone is trying to get to their next class and then adding the middle schoolers to that makes it even worse.”