Taking Learning Styles Into Consideration Helps Students

All students are unique in how they best learn in school. Some may learn better through seeing things visually, hearing them, reading, writing or through hands-on work. Many teachers try to incorporate different types of learning exercises to accommodate all types of learning style, because students may struggle in a class that does not account for their learning styles.

NPHS World Literature teacher Mrs. Hatfield said: “I always try to include some reading, some writing, some talking to or working with a partner or in groups and then some things where the whole class is involved but not staying on any one thing for too long.”

Using different teaching tactics helps teachers to connect with all students in a class. Teachers can build positive relationships with students when they make the class inclusive of all learning styles.

NPHS Spanish teacher, Señora DiGirolamo said: “If a teacher connects with their students, they will create a very friendly and trustworthy environment.”

Mrs. Hatfield likes to find different ways of connecting with students, noting that: “At the beginning of the year I like to do icebreakers and get to know you sort of activities to get to know students. Another way is with independent reading. I have individual conferences, or book chats with students, which allows me to get to know them better.”

Students will experience classes in different ways based on their learning style. Certain teacher’s style may happen to fit better with some students more than others.  Some classes may involve more group work while others require more independent reading. Classes may also have a different balance of hands-on work and lectures.

Señora DiGirolamo said: “When we have to learn new vocabulary, I like to do activities that the students can either recall and use the vocabulary in contexts, or I do games online that will make the students engage and have fun at the same time.”

These different types of learning activities can make a big difference to improve students’ learning experience. Different subjects may also call for different ways of teaching. 

NPHS student Abby Gilbertson said: “I learn best visually along with reading and writing. When I can see the material, I feel like I understand and comprehend it best.”

She also noted that: “In math, there’s a lot of reading. There’s a lot of writing that’s involved and that helps. But in language arts, it’s more typing and listening and I feel I do better.”

It is important for students to understand what learning styles and strategies work best for them. It is also important for teachers to understand that all students learn in different ways. This will allow students and teachers to work together to create the best possible learning environment.