The student news site of New Providence High School

The Providential

The Providential

The Providential

NPHS Fashion Trends

You may not realize fashion plays a role in your everyday life. Whether you’re wearing pajamas or a whole ball gown to school, that’s your own personal fashion that you choose to wear.  I wanted to observe what the trends in fashion were at school lately. So for a week, I tallied all the variations of clothes I saw in order to answer the question: what is the latest fashion trend at NPHS?

I took my averages from the observations I made and discovered what was the latest fashion trend at NPHS for girls. For the category of pants, the most popular was leggings, with on average at least 20 girls wearing leggings a day. A close second was pajama pants and sweatpants, with about 15 girls wearing these each day. The least popular choice of pants were jeans with only about 10 girls wearing jeans each day.

I took the averages for shirts/tops and the most popular were sweatshirts, with about 26 girls wearing them everyday. Second most popular came in at a tie between crop tops and sweaters, although most crop tops noted were usually paired with a sweatshirt.  In all, about 16 girls wore crop tops and sweaters everyday. Lastly, long sleeve shirts were the least popular as only 11 girls wore them each day. 

It is clear that in terms of girls’ fashion at NPHS, a trend of comfort/comfortable clothes was most popular. It’s notable that the clothes being worn the most – leggings and sweatshirts – lean more towards cozy outfits than “fashionable” ones.

Sophomore Alice Kas is right on trend:  “For me what really impacts how I pick out my outfit is my mood. Like if I wake up really tired I’m probably going to wear sweatpants and a comfortable shirt, or if I wake up ready and refreshed then I’ll usually wear jeans with a crop top and sweatshirt.”

Dézeree Perez, a junior, agreed: “I think that weather, mood, and my classes play a big role in my outfit for the day. If the weather is nasty, my mood is off, or if I have a class I really don’t want to have, I’m going to be dressed in whatever makes me comfortable. Also in general I just don’t see a need to be “dressed up” for school.”

I also took averages from my observations of boys’ clothing to discover what was the latest fashion trend for boys at NPHS. The most popular pants at NPHS for boys appear to be sweatpants.  I saw about 21 boys wearing sweatpants each day. Second most popular were pajama pants with about 16 people. Lastly, there was a tie for last place with shorts and jeans with only 6 people. 

Finally I took my information for the most popular tops and the clear winner was sweatshirts . Each day about 21 boys wear sweatshirts to school. The last and only other clothing item was long sleeve t-shirts coming in with about 8 people wearing them each day. Just like the fashion trends amongst the girls at NPHS the boys also seem to carry the same trend of comfort in clothing. 

All in all, after observing and interviewing people it is clear that comfort plays a big part in day to day dressing. With a school day from 7:44 – 2:48 and hard work from students,  it’s no wonder why NPHS students value their comfort through the school day.