The Fall Play: On and Off Stage

While the last bell of the day rings at 2:48 pm, the day does not end for the cast and crew of Radium Girls—it is only just beginning. Contrary to popular belief, those involved in this theatrical production are athletes, albeit not the traditional definition of one. They are athletes of the theater.

Radium Girls tells the true story of female factory workers who contracted and died from radiation poisoning after painting radium dials with self-luminous paint. 

There are many people involved in the production of Radium Girls, ranging from students and teachers to parent volunteers. Each role, whether it be cast or crew, is different, but paramount in making a successful production.

Jasmyn Srinivasan, a senior at NPHS, joins the cast in the lead role of Grace Fryer in her first fall NPHS production. Srinivasan says that she was nervous but very excited when she learned she would be playing the lead role in Radium Girls

The cast of Radium Girls rehearses twice a week: three hours on Tuesday and six hours on Thursday.

Srinivasan notes how mentally taxing double rehearsals are: “It’s very draining to have to remember things the whole time. It gets to the end and it’s like, ‘Where am I supposed to go?’”

Srinivasan also discusses the preparation cast members go into before rehearsals even start: “I did a lot of research about the radium girls and their history.”

Srinivasan says she was able to base her portrayal of her character on her research, learning that she and Fryer have a great deal in common, including being cautious and passionate about the people for whom they care.

While she does not appear on stage, Briana Wycko plays a significant role in creating a cohesive and entertaining production.

Wycko, head stage manager, oversees virtually every aspect of the production: “I take notes on everything during rehearsal. I highlight my script, then go through what lights and sound need to be done, and take notes on props.”

Wycko notes that her role is not limited to just overseeing the production, she also runs errands for the directors and works closely with the parents involved in the production, organizing dinners and activities for the cast and crew. 

On the other end of the production spectrum, Fintan Naughton, a member of the stage crew, has a more physically demanding role than the cast.

While the stage crew does not have to memorize lines, they have the daunting task of making the sets appear as seamless and life-like as possible: “We meet once a week for a couple of hours, constructing everything that they use and getting everything ready in time for the show.”

According to Naughton, the stage crew spends more time figuring out the mechanics of moving and housing the large setpieces than constructing them: “We practice moving sets quickly and efficiently, and we try to figure out where we’re going to put pieces, how we’re going to fit them backstage, and who’s going to move what.”

These are just a handful of the many individuals involved in bringing theatrical productions to life at New Providence High School.

Come see Radium Girls at New Providence High School on November 17 and 18.