Middle School Welcomes Changes to Schedule

Have you noticed more middle schoolers crowding the hallway than usual? Along with many other modifications, the new middle school rotate and drop bell schedule was implemented this year.   

“We wanted to look at a schedule that would increase instructional time and on contact time, to allow students to have more opportunities to be with their teachers, and also have students have more opportunity for collaborative learning,” said NPMS/NPHS principal Mr. Henry. 

Along with the new schedule, middle school students now have a wide range of brand new electives, previously known as “mods”. Some of the new electives include Investigative Journalism, Art of Debate and Media Mashup, which focuses on writing pieces like poetry and graphic novels. In previous years, the middle school had A and B days, and on some days students would have a double period of Language arts. This year, that policy was removed. 

According to Mr. Henry the new electives were added to make up for the fact that students are now spending less time in language arts classes.

School administrators have already taken note of some of the effects of the new schedule.

Mr. Henry said “I’ve definitely seen a lot of collaboration” and “students [are] not feeling as rushed, and have more time to ask their teachers questions, having more time to talk and collaborate with their peers.”

An informal survey of middle schoolers shows an overall positive response to the change, with many claiming the new schedule helps them focus and learn more effectively. 

This new change may be the first of many. In fact, Mr. Henry said the Board of Education has already been making notes and taking feedback from students. Some changes in the future may be new STEM electives for the middle schoolers, and add new electives based on the interest of students.