The student news site of New Providence High School

The Providential

The Providential

The Providential

NPHS Cheerleaders: Strength & Support

Being a cheerleader takes a lot of hard work and determination. Not only does the team have to put in many hours of practice per week, they have to find ways to bond as a team to be successful. Cheerleaders learn so much from their coaches but also from each other. 

Cheerleaders have practices after school every day in preparation for the games. Every day they spend at least an hour and a half after school getting ready for the week’s game. Stunts and the routines require good teamwork and a lot of trust in each other.

Alexa Deseta, a senior varsity captain at NPHS said: “Each practice we do a combination of our routine, jumps and tumbling.”

Cheerleaders have to develop these skills as individuals but their ability to work together is what makes them shine on the field during every game. 

Kiera Arnold, a senior varsity captain at NPHS said: “I think that we’ve all bonded really well as a team together. I also think we’ve been getting skills a lot quicker than we usually have. And the varsity squad has developed stunting and tumbling skills faster than in the past.”

One way that the cheer squad creates bonds is by having what is called “bigs and littles.” This is where varsity cheerleaders are assigned “a little” (JV cheerleader) to support and mentor as a part of the cheer team. 

Arnold said: “I believe that bigs and littles have really helped bring everyone together and help the team bond.”

The bonding is what makes cheer a great experience for JV and Varsity. 

Maddie Donza, another senior captain said: “The times I’ve spent with these girls, some hard and some amazing, will stick with me forever. These bonds forced me to mature and become a leader who has trust in her teammates.”

One of the many highlights for the team is senior night. This is the night when the community is celebrating the seniors for all their hard work as a part of the cheer team over their high school career. 

Deseta said: “It is definitely a bittersweet moment to think that it will be the last time I will ever cheer at a football game after doing it for four years straight. It is also a great accomplishment that I’ve made it through these four years and can look back on these experiences for the rest of my life.”