NPHS Football Checkup

Friday night lights, kids of all ages coming to the games at Lieder Field to cheer on their town. The band playing celebratory sounds after wins. It’s fall, and nothing means fall like football.

The New Providence football team has gotten off to a good start to the season. 

Head coach Parlavecchio said that “this year’s schedule is very tough and the only way to be successful is by going through practices with 100% effort and we all must get better everyday. I’m really proud of our effort in every game and you know, we’ve got a really tough, tough group of kids, they’re resilient. And I’m very happy with where we’re at right now. We’re getting better and better. We want to keep getting better and really start hitting our stride here in the second half of the season.”

Junior defensive lineman Jameson Moore has been having an absolute breakout season.

He said:  “our tough schedule has been an adjustment and we have shined so far and hopefully we can keep it rolling. Our injuries and overall depth has definitely put a big role on each and everyone of us.” 

One of the challenges facing the team is the fact that the freshman team, which is the future of the program, has not attracted that many participants.  

The main issues freshman coach Manns has identified are the “lack of numbers, and injuries, and overall 15 players is just not an ideal number for a team.”

Kevin Reilly, freshman quarterback, feels like the challenge has helped the team grow. 

He said:  “Having to overcome the adversity of only 15 players on our roster has conditioned us and allowed us to develop much more as individuals. Hopefully this hard work will be shown in the future of our program as we grow older.”