NPHS Wrestlers Look to Stay Strong

With the winter season comes the start of the wrestling season. Last year, the wrestling team was the best team that New Providence has had in years. This year it plans to be even better by adding new wrestlers to the team. 

The New Providence wrestling team lost its previous captains last year due to them graduating. 

Junior Antonio Gallo, who finished last season with 7 wins, is one of the new captains. 

“I think this year’s team has potential to be very good because there are a lot of new wrestlers joining the team along with the wrestlers from last year,” Gallo said.

Among his goals for the year is: “recruiting new wrestlers and making the team as a whole, better at wrestling”.

Sophomore Trevor Fornuff is the other new captain of the wrestling team. He finished last year with 13 wins and has shown various traits of leadership during his time on the team. 

As captain, he said: “I’ll try to do what the captains did last year and hopefully make this year’s team better than last year.”

He, too, feels confident that the new additions will help the team reach its goals.

“This is good for the team because last year a lot of our losses were due to missing weight classes which forced us to forfeit the losses and give up points, and now we can fill those weight classes and hopefully win more matches,” Fornuff said.