Relay for Life

It’s that time of year again! As the spring approaches, so do the dates for local Relay for Life events! The all-night walk for cancer draws people of all ages, with a large number of NPHS Pioneers taking part. The night is filled with activities and inspiring speeches, all to raise money for cancer research. The three local relays are in Scotch Plains, Berkeley Heights, and Madison.

The Berkeley Heights Relay, which draws most NPHS students, is one of the biggest Relay for Life events in the country. The entire practice field at Governor Livingston HS is filled with tents. For one day of the year, GL students and NPHS students are not rivals, but are instead working together to raise money for a meaningful cause.

The night is filled with fun activities. There are movies playing, music blasting, tent decorating contests, Zumba classes, and much more. Add these great things to the fact that everything is more fun at 2 a.m. and you have a fun filled night for all. Even if you cannot stay overnight, you can still visit the event and enjoy many of these activities. It is highly recommended that participants raise the money and stay past midnight, when the fun really begins.

Cancer affects many people. It is hard to find someone who doesn’t know anyone who’s been affected by the awful disease. Everyone has a parent, grandparent, or friend who has dealt with it. This is made clear during the annual walking of the track. The entire night every team is supposed to have one representative walking the track, but the opening ceremony is reserved for a special group of people. The first lap is for the survivors of cancer. Many of these people have overcome the disease entirely, while some are still in the fight. The next lap is for care takers, or people who have been affected by the disease indirectly. The number of people who flock the track for this lap reveals how many people are hurt by cancer.

In the halls of NPHS, students may soon see fundraising start. People sell bracelets, t shirts, or anything they feel will help raise money. Some people shake cans, or post on Facebook asking for money. Whatever method you see, be sure to donate. The money could not go to a better cause.

As a veteran relayer myself, I can personally say what a great experience it is. After participating in many BerkeleyHeights relays, and one at Scotch Plains last year, I know how special the event is. While staying up all night with your friends, winning volleyball tournaments, and having sword fights at 3 a.m. are all fun, hearing survivors speak and seeing the hope created by the event is what leaves a lasting impression. I will most likely be going to the Madison relay this year, with hopes of making a difference, no matter how small, once again.