Girl’s Basketball Mid-season Report

Over the past few years the New Providence girls basketball team has been a dominating force both in their conference and in the state playoffs.   This year is no exception.  The girls are out to an impressive 10-2 record under the guidance of Coach Pazdera.  The girls all talk about their coach with the utmost respect and say that his constant positive attitude and great sense of humor drives them to work hard every day.   The Pioneers started the season by rolling over great teams like Westfield, Oak Knoll, and Livingston.  There is an obvious correlation between the consistent success of the team and the trust the players have in their coach.

The season has been exhilarating so far with their first loss coming recently to GL.   The Pioneers rolled in with confidence and Pazdera’s bodacious fashion choice seemed to create an atmosphere filled with Pioneer pride that the girls carried into the game.   They played a fast pace game and it was evident that each player was playing with great intensity.   On the offensive, the team was lead by senior captain Cassandra Squeri and freshman Sydney Morang.   Morang had a whopping, but not surprising, 13 points in the first half.   Defensively, juniors Jill Balog and Casey Trezza along with senior Kaycee de Voogd all played solidly.   Going into the half, New Providence had a 23-17 lead.   In the third quarter, GL took their first lead and went up 30-27.   At the end of the third, Jill Balog hit an electrifying 3-pointer to tie the game 33-33.   In the 4th quarter, the shots just seemed to fall for GL.   The Pioneers ran out of time, and the girls lost a heart breaker, 44-42.   However, everyone in the gym that day was fully aware that the girls left everything out on the court and played a great game.

Coach Pazdera said:  “I am really proud of the way our girls are playing so far.  The seniors have all stepped up.  Cassandra Squeri and Kaycee de Voogd in their play on the floor and Nicole Sanczyk and Jess McCarthy, who have been sidelined with torn ACLs, have been emotional leaders on the bench and during practices.  Freshman Sydney Morang has stepped into leadership role on the floor with her excellent play so far.  Jill Balog and Casey Trezza have done a great job in shutting down the other teams best players and leading the way for us on the defensive end of the court.  We have also gotten some great contributions from Natalie Barrett, Gabby Zepnick, Morgan Mohlmann, Kelsey Quinn and Emily Molstad.”  It seems the success this year has been completely a team effort.

It is no secret that one of the most exciting times of the year for the school is when the girls make a run at the state title.  In past years, the team has pulled off huge upsets in front of packed gyms.  When asked about the end of the year, Coach Pazdera said, “As far as the future goes, we have Nicole Sanczyk and Maxine Ibrahim coming back from injuries and looking to use our first half momentum to propel us to a great second half of the season where we are vying for a conference championship, hope to play for the county championship, and look to do some damage in the state tournament.”  The town is on their toes to see what this talented group of girls can accomplish