The student news site of New Providence High School

The Providential

The Providential

The Providential

A Big Splash in the Pool

The NPHS boys swim team enjoyed one of the most successful seasons in its history, finishing the regular season 8-5, the best record in a number of years, and qualifying for the State Tournament.  The team was ranked 4th of 6 in their bracket and were placed against Mendham in the first round. After a close meet New Providence came out on top. Although Mendham won 6 of the 11 races that day, the depth of the Pioneers’ lineup was too much for them and the boys clinched a win before the last relay. The next day the Pioneers, weakened by injury and sickness, fell to Summit, the number 1 seed in the bracket, but the attitude remained positive. Coach Kempner had high praise for the boy’s team. “The season was fantastic.  It was one of the best years we have had finishing well over five hundred.”  

The boy’s team also made a very impressive showing at the Union County Meet, finishing in a respectable 5th place.  Senior Harry Clewell made a strong showing in the backstroke and butterfly, placing high in both races. The boy’s medley relay team also had a successful meet, setting the New Providence medley relay record. The team of Mike Glendenning, David Hua, Harry Clewell, and Dan Patel swam the relay in a record time of 1:45. The boy’s team enjoyed the most successful season in the history of NPHS boy’s swimming, and are looking forward to a bright future. “I thought there was a great combination of senior leadership and freshmen energy that made for a very special year that will be hard to repeat. The future is hopeful though,” said coach Kempner.

The girls swim team also had a very successful season, making it to the first State tournament in a number of years and doing very well at the County meet. An influx of strong freshmen joining a team that lost no seniors from the previous year led the team to an impressive 11-3 record during the regular season. The girl’s team easily beat Caldwell in the first round of the tournament, then made the journey to Morristown to face Mendham. It was a close meet, but in the end the Mendham girls came out on top. The girl’s team remained optimistic though, as they know they have a very bright future ahead of them. The girl’s had a very impressive county meet coming in 3rd place, beating out local rivals Governor Livingston and Summit. Senior Kelly Carroll had a strong meet winning two races. Many New Providence underclassmen swam very well in the meet, reinforcing the notion that this will be the team to beat in years to come. Coach Kempner said:  “We had a great year. This was probably one of the best years we have had, if not the best.”