Girls Lax Preview

The spring season is in full bloom and the girls lacrosse team is eager to achieve more than they have ever achieved before.

This 2013 season is being led by seniors Julia Loria, Nicole Sanczyk, Julia Oldakowski, and Ally Hartenstein. Also looking to making an impact on the team are returning juniors Jillian Balog, Dominique Iacovelli, Rebecca Blitt, and Megan Sullivan. On the underclassman side, sophomores Ashley Darling and Emily Molstad hope to serve as models for the youngest members of the team, the freshmen. New freshman on the varsity team include Nicole Dillon, Jen Maluso, Megan Mahlstadt. Another freshman on the varsity team includes Julia Nelson who will be playing goalie alongside Loria.

Also joining the Pioneer Lax family this year is coach Guess, who will help head coach Jennifer Henry and assistant coach David Fama with both the varsity and JV teams.

This season looks promising, as there is a “more experienced team that has great senior leadership which should translate to a more successful season,” says Coach Fama. He also looks forward to, “being with the team, helping them improve their skills as lacrosse players, getting to know them better as people, and helping the New Providence girls lacrosse program grow and become more successful.”

Governor Livingston, that common enemy of every Pioneer team, is the LAX team’s main rival this year. According to Coach Fama, the NP vs. GL is “a game that everyone looks forward to playing.” He also mentioned that aside from GL, the girls team is getting prepared for rivals such as Millburn and Montclair, each of whom defeated NP last year by just one point each. Coach Fama says, “I want to play them again and reverse both those outcomes.”

The girls had their first game against Verona on April 2nd. It was a loss, but it was only by one point. New Providence scored 8 goals: Sanczyk had 3 and both Balog and Molstad had 2 apiece. Despite an early loss, the coaches and the entire girls lacrosse program are optimistic for this season.