New Providence Baseball Triumphs over Madison

After getting off to a rocky start in the Governor Livingston Highlander Classic, New Providence ace Dean Bogdanovic pitched 6 masterful innings, en route to a 6-3 victory for the Pioneer baseball team.  

Madison started the game off with a base knock from leadoff hitter John Costa, who was then driven in by Pat Zimmerman to give the Dodgers a 1-0 lead.  Slugger first baseman John Young followed with a single to drive in 2 more runs, and things looked grim for New Providence.

However, the Pioneers were able to regain the lead in the 3rd inning as Brian Sherman, David Gelormini, and Alan Payne each collected base hits to drive in a run.  Jordan Morang stole home during that inning as well.

“We had confidence because we had guys on base and we knew that was going to pay off and we knew we were going to drive in some runs,” said New Providence Head Coach Christopher Brodeur.

Bogdanovic was dominant after the 1st inning, striking out 4 and giving up no runs.

In the top of the 7th frame, New Providence added some insurance runs.  Bogdanovic led off with a double followed by second baseman Mike Felezzola smacking a double in the gap in right-center field.  Sherman then singled home Felezzola to lengthen the lead for the Pioneers.

In the bottom of the 7th after a hit batsman and two walks, Bogdanovic exited the game and was replaced by Marc Giacalone.  Giacalone got the first batter to ground into a double play and the next to strike out swinging to seal the deal for New Providence.

“I think it was a real team effort.  There was really no one who stood out and did anything outstanding.  Everybody did the little things throughout the game to lead us to the win,” said Coach Brodeur.

This game was a big confidence booster for the Pioneers, who look to build on this success further in the season.