Pioneers Continue to Dominate in Football

The Pioneers have continued their offensive attack on the gridiron. On Saturday October 5, the football Pioneers took on Pingry. This was a huge game for Pingry. Not only do the teams have a long history, but it was the homecoming game for the “Big Blue.” The setting was perfect. Freshly cut grass, a cool breeze, and a warm October day.
On their opening drive, Pingry was knocked on their heels. The Pioneers were pounding the ball while still showing their speed. Jeff Doran capped off the drive with his first touchdown of the day. The defense was rock solid. Defensive linemen Hunter Davidson, Dan Patel, Mimmo Coppola, and Stephen Bremmer seemed to be in the backfield on every play.
In the second quarter, Junior quarter back Jack Harvey found Doran again for a colossal touchdown. “To have that threat in our back pocket is priceless. Our ability to pass and run always keeps the defense guessing,” said Doran after the game.
Harvey’s ability to pass and run was very evident in this game. Regardless, the first half was tight. Pingry’s defense held the Pioneers to just two scores. Pingry’s safety Mitch Suzuki had an interception. Considering the points put up by the Pioneers in their last three games, this was quite a feat. At the half, the Pioneers led 14-0.
Junior Greg Jester opened the half with a huge kickoff return all the way into Pingry territory. The Pioneers hammered their way down to Pingry’s 25 yard line. Not surprisingly, Senior Bryan Sherman found the end zone again. Harvey placed the ball perfectly into Sherman’s outstretched arms.
Then the momentum began to shift in Pingry’s favor. Pingry put together a very impressive drive all the way into the red zone. Junior corner back Matt McCann put an end to the drive with a devastating interception. Harvey then broke off a 60 yard run that took the life out of Pingry. Senior running back CJ Kleisch pounded the ball in to put the Pioneers up by four touchdowns.
Pingry did not quit. They rallied and were able to put together a beautiful drive that ended with a touchdown. Unfortunately for the “Big Blue,” this was their only score of the day. At the end of the third, the score was 28-6 Pioneers. The pioneers were able to tack on three more touchdowns in the 4th quarter. Matthew McCann, Carter Stumpf, and Vinny Pecca all found the end zone. The final score was 49-6. The Pioneers record remains a perfect 4-0. This Friday October 11, Bernards comes to town for one of the biggest game of the season.