The student news site of New Providence High School

The Providential

The Providential

The Providential

NP Beats Secaucus in 4th Quarter

On Friday night (11/15/13) the Pioneers won their first playoff game against Secaucus.  The game was much closer than the final score implies.  The Pioneers showed just how much heart they have by scoring 20 unanswered points in the fourth quarter.  

The offense was very balanced for the Pioneers.  Senior CJ Kliesch and Junior Ibn Nash both had over 100 yards rushing.  The Pioneers were able to establish the run early on and the backs continued to have success throughout the game.  Senior Bryan Sherman and Junior Jack Harvey both threw touchdown passes.  The offense seemed as though it had finally clicked.  

The defense was led by Senior linebacker Brian Urness.  Towards the end of the game Urness made two huge plays that stood out.  Secaucus was moving the ball successfully right before Urness put a huge hit on the Secaucus quarter back for a loss.  He then had an electrifying interception that he returned 60 yards for a touchdown.  After the game, Urness said, “This was exactly what we needed.  Everyone left everything on the field and we came out on top.  We need to use this momentum and have a strong week of practice.”  Urness finished with 12 tackles.

The Pioneers will take on Hoboken in the semi-finals next week. If they win, they will face the winner of RosellePark vs Malcolm X Shabazz.