Varsity Volleyball Aces the Season

Claire Suh, Staff Writer

This year’s New Providence High School varsity volleyball team is faring well in the 2014 high school volleyball season.  The team holds a 15-7 record, led by senior co-captains Erica Boyd and Carmen Machalek.  The team is seeded sixth out of the thirty-two teams participating in the upcoming Group 1 States Tournament, behind number one Seacaucus, number two Bogota, number three Glen Rock, number four Becton, and number five Kinnelon.  The thirteen regular members of the New Providence varsity volleyball team are geared up for their first state game against number twenty-seven Dayton on November 5th.  If they come away with a victory, they will proceed to round two of the tournament, most likely facing number eleven McNair on Friday, November 7th.

Leaders in stats on the team for service aces include Emily Eng with 40 aces, Erica Boyd with 30 aces, and Claire Suh with 21 aces.  Stat leaders for kills include Emily Eng with 71 aces, Erica Boyd with 59 kills, and Claire Suh with 16 kills.  Stat leaders for assists include Devon McDonald with 64 assists, Erica Boyd with 38 assists, and Emily Eng with 6 assists.

This year’s varsity team is comprised of seven seniors and six juniors, which is radically different from the previous year’s senior-dominated roster.  This ensures that the 2015 volleyball season will start with a solid foundation of varsity players in addition to incoming talent from this year’s junior varsity team.  The New Providence varsity volleyball team has been improving considerably over the past few years, rising from a low ranking in states two years ago to number 20 last year, and finally to number 6 this year.  The 2015 volleyball season is sure to be even more successful with an abundance of promising players.

The volleyball team has had a very satisfying season with a decent record and a high states ranking, but the players are aiming higher than satisfaction.  They are working hard to advance to the next stages of the states tournament and they hope to push all the way to the tournament finals.  As any game could be the last game of the season, this year’s seniors are feeling bittersweet as the season comes to an inevitable end.  Hopefully, the team will perform well and reach as far as possible in the upcoming tournament.